We are currently seeking a Billing Specialist to join our Finance team in our Toronto office.
More About Us
With over 120 lawyers, Hicks Morley is a leading law firm in Canada focusing on the representation of management in Human Resources Law and Advocacy. Labour and Employment Law is the foundation of the firm’s growth—the depth and scope of our expertise in Human Resources Law is the Hicks Morley advantage.
Hicks Morley is a rapidly growing firm; we have five offices in Ontario: the main office is located in Toronto, and regional offices located in Waterloo, London, Kingston, and Ottawa. We act for over 1,000 employers in the public and private sectors.
Reporting to the Billing Team Lead, the Billing Specialist will primarily be responsible for partnering with timekeepers and other firm members to prepare and deliver accurate and timely invoices to clients while monitoring and addressing outstanding Accounts Receivable matters with clients. The ideal candidate will be proactive, technically savvy, highly organized and driven to continuously evolve and improve our billing processes.
- Manage the entirety of assigned billing cycles in partnership with applicable lawyers and legal assistants.
- Prepare invoices per client and firm billing guidelines, send invoices to clients and reply to related client inquiries. Process estimates and accruals as requested.
- Monitor and review unique client billing or rate arrangements.
- Maintain records and information on internal systems in order to effectively prepare monthly billing reports and statements for internal and external stakeholders.
- Liaise with other members of the billing team and finance to address any inquiries related to the billing process.
- Apply trust and retainer funds to accounts and process adjustments including credit notes, invoice revisions or invoice cancellations. Resolve discrepancies or missing supporting documentation.
- Prepare various reports and documentation as requested.
- Provide support when colleagues are absent or require support in executing on daily tasks and work proactively to be a positive and productive member of the firm.
- Learn and use available technology to enhance work product including, but not limited to, Acumin, Zoom, ShareFile, Adobe, Electronic Signatures, Microsoft Office.
- Maintain and update job skills and knowledge by participating in development opportunities within the firm.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience as a billing professional, ideally in a professional services environment.
- Technical proficiency and the proven ability to embrace and master upgraded, enhanced, and/or new technologies.
- Evidenced success in managing competing deadlines and priorities while ensuring firm standards are upheld.
- Attention to detail with experience proofreading and organizing documentation.
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills.
- Client service oriented and the ability to anticipate needs and proactively support billing efforts.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and recognize when to consult colleagues and/or support resources when appropriate.
Please send your resume to:
If you are interested in applying, please send your resume to:
Human Resources Lead
All Hicks Morley employees are required to be fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine series, approved by Health Canada, as a condition of hire. Should you be the successful candidate you will be required to comply with the firm’s mandatory vaccination policy that is in effect.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Every firm has a culture, and ours is no exception. We work in the human resources area, so we are ‘people’ people. We have a very diverse client base, from manufacturers to social service agencies – and are passionate about understanding our clients, their businesses, and their needs.
Hicks Morley is an open and respectful workplace which fosters creativity, legal innovation and excellence in our clients’ interests. We are committed to recruiting and hiring the best candidates for all roles, and from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Upon request, Hicks Morley will provide suitable accommodations during the recruitment and hiring process to candidates with accessibility needs due to disability.