Privilege is a complex issue. Identifying and knowing how to deal with issues of privilege when they arise is imperative – to avoid potential pitfalls to your organization and meet your professional obligations.
Tailored to the practice of employment and labour law by in-house counsel, this interactive Q&A session will test your knowledge of privilege – in theory and in practice.
Working through various scenarios, we will identify and discuss privilege issues as well as review the relevant Rules of Professional Conduct. We will also provide you with specific pointers to safeguard privilege within your organization.
We will consider how privilege applies:
- in providing advice to your employer or receiving and sharing advice from outside sources
- in internal investigations and in the hiring of experts and consultants
- in the context of employee terminations and settlement offers
- prior to (and in the course of) litigation
- when collecting and producing documents, including emails on workplace computers.
Our presenters will invite questions and will remain available after the session for any informal discussions you wish to have.
By the end of this session, attendees will have a better understanding of all things privilege, including:
- when can privilege be claimed and on what basis
- what steps you can take to protect privileged communication and information
- when is privilege waived
- what to do if you (or the other side) inadvertently waives privilege