Funding challenges are growing in the healthcare sector, with a number of Ontario healthcare facilities facing deficits and corresponding reductions to programs and staff. In addition, there is an ongoing push to integrate healthcare services on a more efficient basis – which significantly impacts human resources issues.
With a number of issues at stake, from workplace accommodation, to LTD and sick pay, to workplace harassment and violence claims, the sector is also experiencing increased employment litigation and arbitration.
Our Healthcare group has provided services to the healthcare sector for over 45 years. We act for well over 100 hospitals and other healthcare providers in Ontario. Our close involvement with our healthcare sector clients – combined with our decades-long relationship with the Ontario Hospital Association – gives us a unique insight into the needs of Ontario’s healthcare sector.
Our team of healthcare sector lawyers provides our clients with regular updates on developments in their area and holds leadership training seminars and conferences on a number of general human resources topics that may impact them.
- Long-term care facilities
- Community and mental health agencies
- Dental and medical offices
- Healthcare service and product suppliers
We bring the full depth of our firm’s expertise, along with our extensive experience in working in this area, to help healthcare sector employers:
- proactively reduce employee turnover, manage employee performance and foster positive labour relations
- develop, review and implement policies on disability and attendance management, workplace violence, human rights, occupational health and safety, workers’ compensation and privacy
- effectively deal with restructuring challenges created by the Public Sector Labour Relations Transition Act, 1997
We represent healthcare sector clients:
- throughout the collective bargaining process
- during grievances and arbitration hearings
- before employment-related tribunals such as the Pay Equity Hearings Tribunal, Human Rights Tribunal, Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal and Ontario Labour Relations Board
- at all levels of court for wrongful dismissal actions and judicial review proceedings