Your Vaccination and Pandemic Resource Partner
Date: June 24, 2022
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, employers have faced—and continue to face—unique challenges on all fronts: health and safety, human rights and accommodation, privacy and data security, workplace safety and insurance, pensions and benefits. Hicks Morley has the expertise to guide employers through any pandemic-related labour and employment issues that may arise.
While most restrictions and public health measures have ceased, organizations will need continued support as the pandemic evolves. Hicks Morley can help.
We are continuously monitoring developments and sending communications to our clients with the latest information and impacts on the workplace.
- See our checklist for a successful return to work in a COVID-19 world.
- See our vaccination articles.
- See our COVID-19 articles.
Hicks Morley places the highest priority on client service. We have used our expertise to help our clients navigate countless pandemic-related challenges and we are prepared to help manage whatever comes next. We can:
- keep you apprised of all of the latest government measures and ensure you understand how they affect your business,
- identify your legal obligations in the workplace,
- help create vaccine mandates,
- identify your health and safety obligations, both in terms of ensuring a safe physical workspace and ensuring the health and safety of your employees,
- assist you with obligations relating to statutory leaves,
- review your work-from-home and hybrid-work policies,
- guide you through the statutory benefits that may be available to employees and assist in interpreting other benefit plans that you may have
- advise on benefits issues relating to re-enrollment requirements, waiting periods and insurance and disability coverage,
- help you manage absenteeism through the development of contingency plans
- help you assess the privacy implications of a positive diagnosis in the workplace and navigate the collection of medical information, and
- work with you on various human rights and accommodation issues—including family status—that may arise.
Proof of Vaccination
Businesses and organizations in Ontario are not required to check for proof of vaccination. Some individual businesses and organizations, however, may still require proof of vaccination upon entry.
While most public health measures—including mask requirements in most public settings—have been lifted, the Ontario government has stated that it will continue to follow the latest public health advice and will not hesitate to re-introduce previous measures, if needed.
For more information on further information on COVID-19, please see:
- Public Health Ontario
- World Health Organization
- Public Health Agency of Canada (24-hour hotline: 800.454.8302)
- Ontario Ministry of Health: COVID-19 (coronavirus) in Ontario
- Government of Canada Employment and Social Development Canada (COVID-19)
The Hicks Morley Advantage
Hicks Morley has been advising employers for 50 years. In addition to our ongoing experience with the COVID-19 pandemic, we advised employers on pandemic planning during the SARS crisis in 2003 and the H1N1 scare in 2009. We have the expertise and can help you prepare for any eventuality. We understand your business and we have the expertise and the depth to assist you in navigating the unique issues relating to COVID-19, vaccine mandates and the return to work.
As recognized leaders in the areas of employment and labour law, Hicks Morley is well-positioned to assist you in understanding your compliance obligations, developing return-to-work plans and managing the health and safety of your workforce.