As groundbreaking new law continues to emerge from human rights tribunals, arbitration boards and courts across Canada on hot-button – and often headline-grabbing – issues, our Human Rights group provides clients with the strategic, practical advice they need to respond to the unique challenges of this area on all fronts.
Whether in respect of new protections of discrimination or developing new solutions-based approaches to existing problems, our team understands the nuances necessary to both achieve and maintain compliance – and minimize your risks.
Our expertise extends from the private sector to the public sector areas, including education law, fire services, police services and municipal or provincial government – and we understand the context and culture of each individual organization and sector in which it operates.
We assist in risk management for employers by:
- providing management with human rights training to ensure they understand their obligations, thereby improving the work environment and minimizing risk
- assisting in the development and implementation of human rights policies and practices, including internal complaint procedures and accommodation plans and attendance management programs
- offering training workshops on accommodation in the workplace and conducting workplace investigations
We offer effective solutions by:
- thinking ‘outside the box’ to obtain resolutions and, where feasible, to have a complaint dismissed at the preliminary stage rather than proceeding to a hearing
- assisting clients in achieving practical and effective resolutions to human rights complaints, to reach a satisfactory conclusion for all parties
- vigorously litigating, where appropriate, on behalf of employers charged with human rights complaints
We also provide our clients with regular updates on developments in their area, and have developed extensive, practical and well-received training sessions for in-house legal counsel and human resource professionals. We frequently hold leadership training seminars and conferences on a number of human rights topics of interest to employers.