The proactive management of Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) claims and financial issues can save employers significant amounts of money.
We help our clients deal with practical day-to-day issues relating to workplace safety and insurance, including:
- representation before the WSIB and the Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal
- accident investigation and reporting
- return of injured employees to work
- employee absences and the accommodation of disabilities in the workplace
- advice on the legal rights and responsibilities of employers and workers
- re-employment and duty to cooperate penalties
- the return to clients of interest owing on over-assessments
- prosecutions under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997
- penalty assessments
Employee absenteeism has a major impact on an employer’s costs, efficiency and workplace morale. We help clients:
- understand the legal and practical issues that arise in attendance management
- develop customized attendance management programs and policies to manage and reduce absenteeism
- implement attendance management processes
- deal with litigation arising from attendance management issues – both in arbitrations and in the human rights area.
When matters cannot be resolved satisfactorily, we provide representation in litigation before the courts, boards of arbitration, human rights tribunals and workplace safety and insurance tribunals. We successfully acted as client counsel at one of the first WSIB criminal prosecutions, with all charges dismissed – and we have been involved in leading cases under the OHSA on machine guarding, search warrants and the jurisdiction of the courts.