John Bruce is a management-side labour and employment lawyer in Hicks Morley’s Toronto office. John acts for an array of private- and public-sector employers in all aspects of workplace law.
John assists clients with:
- Advocacy, Litigation and Advice. He acts as employer counsel and advocate across Canada in grievance arbitrations, civil litigation, union issues, occupational health and safety cases, and human rights matters.
- Transactions and Strategy. He provides clients with strategic advice respecting employment and labour issues for executing large business initiatives and transactions.
- Executive Matters. John advises clients respecting sensitive executive compensation and transition issues.
- He acts as lead negotiator in collective bargaining with unions, including multi-party and centralized negotiations.
- Interest Arbitrations. He sits on Interest Arbitration Boards as Employer Nominee.
John is also a frequent and popular speaker at employer conferences and client events.
Awards & Recognition
The Best Lawyers in Canada™ (2022)
Labour and Employment Law
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2017–2021)
Labour Relations (Repeatedly Recommended)
Memberships & Affiliations
Canadian Bar Association – Member OBA Labour Relations Section
OBA Education Section
OBA Administrative Law Section
Professional Development Group (Canadian Law Firms)
Queen’s University, LL.B.
Queen’s University, B.A. (Hons.) Political Studies