Human Resources Legislative Update
Affordable Housing Legislation (Bill 140) Passes Second Reading
Date: March 11, 2011
On March 8, 2011, Bill 140, Strong Communities Through Affordable Housing Act, carried at Second Reading and was ordered referred to the Standing Committee on Justice Policy.
Bill 140 would, if passed, repeal the Social Housing Reform Act, 2000 and enact the Housing Services Act, 2010. The legislation relates to the provision of housing and homelessness services under provincial oversight. Among other measures, the proposed legislation:
- sets out defined matters of “provincial interest” relating to housing and homelessness services and provides for Ministerial policy statements on such matters;
- requires prescribed housing and homelessness plans to address the matters of provincial interest and be consistent with the Ministerial policy statements;
- provides for the designation of “service managers” (i.e. a municipality or a district social services administration board) and their service areas by regulation;
- sets out the general powers and duties of service managers, including reporting to the Minister and public; and
- sets out the rules governing the operation of defined “local housing corporations”.