Human Resources Legislative Update
Ontario 2011 Budget Introduced
Date: March 28, 2011
On March 29, 2011, the Ontario government introduced its 2011 Budget, “Turning the Corner to a Better Tomorrow” (PDF). Highlights in the Budget of interest to employers include:
- a general consolidation effort in respect of the broader public sector, including moving to “more coordinated bargaining in sectors where it is appropriate” and pursuing options for greater efficiencies in broader public sector pensions;
- proposed amendments to the Broader Public Sector Accountability Act, 2010;
- proposed amendments to the Education Act relating to trustee codes of conduct, agreements with qualified third-party providers with respect to before- and after-school programs on school sites and principal delegation powers under Part XIII of the Act (Behaviour, Discipline and Safety), among other matters;
- proposed amendments to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act to support the development of quality improvement plans by hospitals mandated by the recently passed Excellent Care For All Act, 2010;
- a reduction of the Ontario Public Service by 1,500 positions between April 2012 and March 2014; and
- pending further amendments to the Pension Benefits Act.
We are in the process of reviewing the Budget. An FTR Now discussing the Budget’s highlights will be available shortly on our website.