Human Resources Legislative Update
Education Act Regulation “Sick Leave Credits and Sick Leave Credit Gratuities” Amended
Date: January 23, 2013
On January 21, 2013, the Ontario government filed O. Reg. 11/13, amending O. Reg. 1/13 (Sick Leave Credits and Sick Leave Credit Gratuities) made under the Education Act.
Among other things, O. Reg. 11/13:
- increases to 11 (from 10) the number of sick leave days per year for which an applicable permanent employee is eligible;
- prescribes circumstances under which employees represented by the Canadian Union of Public Employees (“CUPE”) are eligible for sick leave credits in addition to those provided under subsection 1(2) of O. Reg. 1/13, and the formula for determining those credits;
- prescribes circumstances under which other employees may be eligible for sick leave credits in addition to those provided under subsection 1(2) of O. Reg. 1/13;
- adds a bargaining unit represented by CUPE to subsection 3(2) of O. Reg. 1/13, regarding use of sick leave credits;
- revokes subsection 4(4) of O. Reg. 1/13 and prescribes a formula for determining the amount for a gratuity wind-up for specified employees; and
- adds Waterloo Catholic District School Board to subsection 4(5) of O. Reg. 1/13 (applicable to certain employees).
The Regulation is deemed to have come into force on September 1, 2012.