Human Resources Legislative Update
New Federal Regulations Proposed for Health and Safety Committees/Representatives
Date: June 12, 2013
On June 8, 2013, the federal government published proposed Policy Committees, Work Place Committees and Health and Safety Representatives Regulations (“Regulations”) made under the Canada Labour Code (“Code”).
The proposed Regulations would replace the Safety and Health Committees and Representatives Regulations (“SHCRR”) to align the Regulations with amendments made to the Code in 2000, which included the introduction of the internal responsibility system. Among other things, the proposed Regulations would:
- prescribe components of the Code’s health and safety training program, including minimum training to be provided by employers on certain issues;
- establish procedures and administrative details for policy committees which address health and safety issues in the work place;
- repeal the selection process of chairpersons in the SHCRR and add items for consideration in the establishment of the chairperson’s duties;
- provide for selection of policy committee members, work place committee members and health and safety representatives; and
- make housekeeping amendments to align the proposed Regulations with the Code.
Interested parties may comment on the proposed Regulations within 30 days after the date of publication.