Human Resources Legislative Update
Regulation Made Under School Boards Collective Bargaining Act, 2014 Sets Out Minister’s Authority as Crown Representative
Date: March 6, 2018
On March 1, 2018, the Ontario government filed O. Reg. 50/18 “Minister’s Authority as Crown Representative” made under the School Boards Collective Bargaining Act, 2014 (Act).
O. Reg. 50/18 sets out the Minister’s authority to exercise the powers of the Crown under the Act. In table format, the Regulation specifies the general nature of the Crown powers under which the Minister is authorized to act and the corresponding provisions of the Act. Among other things, the Minister is authorized to:
- provide assistance with local bargaining (clause 14.1(1)(a) of the Act)
- participate in central bargaining (ss. 18(1))
- agree to a lock-out (ss. 34(5))
- intervene in an arbitration (ss. 43(5))
- participate in proceedings before the Ontario Labour Relations Board (ss. 45.1(3)).
Subject to certain exceptions, O. Reg. 50/18 came into force on March 1, 2018.