Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Human Resources Law
As leaders in the field of human resources law, we frequently offer training and provide strategic advice to clients on discrimination, harassment and fostering equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We have worked with a wide variety of employers and service-providers in developing policies, providing practical advice and recommending innovative solutions to address issues such as:
- Accommodation based on grounds protected by provincial and federal human rights legislation such as childcare accommodation or religious accommodation
- Balancing competing and intersecting human rights
- Communicating across differences
- Disability accommodation, disability management and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005
- Discrimination and harassment policy, prevention and response
- Managing and advising on investigation of internal complaints
- Employment equity and the development of proactive strategies to encourage recruitment, retention and advancement of under-represented groups
- Pay equity and the concepts of equal pay for equal work and systemic gender discrimination in compensation
- Sexual harassment, sexual violence and sexual assault prevention and response
- Workplace violence and workplace harassment prevention and response
Implementing the Policies You Need
We apply the expertise we have gained in developing strategies for clients to our own firm. As such, we have a comprehensive set of policies in place supporting diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) including:
- Diversity Equity & Inclusion Policy and Action Plan
- Affinity/Resource Group Policy
- Disability Accommodation Policy
- General Accommodation Policy
- Human Rights, Anti-Discrimination and Workplace Harassment Policy and Procedure
- Parent Guide: A Resource for Lawyers taking Pregnancy and/or Parental Leaves
- Part-time Work Policy
- Pregnancy and Parental Leave Policies
- Return to Work Policy
- Working at Home Policy
- Workplace Violence Policy
By living these policies, we are better able to support our clients as they draft and implement policies and procedures to support their workplaces.
It Starts with Recruitment
Hicks Morley is committed to recruiting and hiring exceptional candidates from diverse backgrounds for all roles, and to fostering an equitable and inclusive workplace. We recognize that this makes us stronger as a firm and adds significant value to our clients.
To secure access to top recruits, we drive a variety of initiatives that build a community. We recruit from a large and diverse pool of candidates that reflects the clients we serve.
As a client, this means we are able to staff your files with the best lawyers whose diverse backgrounds and experiences enable them to provide you with the bench strength needed to be successful.
Memberships, Affiliations and Professional Associations
Hicks Morley is a proud and active member of the Law Firm Diversity and Inclusion Network (LFDIN), which is made up of a group of Canadian law firms. Diversity and inclusion are core values for all LFDIN members, and we are a signatory to LFDIN’s Statement of Principles. LFDIN members meet regularly to exchange ideas, information and resources, and to lend support to each other on our individual DE&I pathways. Each firm has agreed to work together to promote diversity and encourage a culture of inclusion in our firms and the broader legal profession.
We support activities of numerous professional associations and affinity groups including Black Female Lawyers Network, Black Law Students’ Association of Canada, Canadian Association of Black Lawyers, Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers, South Asian Bar Association of Toronto, Start Proud, Women’s Law Association of Ontario and Young Women in Law.
We have contributed to the Justicia Project, the Ontario Courts Accessibility Committee, and the Law Society’s consultation on the Developing Strategies for Change.
What Our People Are Saying
— Craig Rix, Managing Partner
— David Alli, Associate
— Catherine Peters, Partner and Past Chair, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee and 2016 Lexpert Zenith Award: Celebrating Diversity and Inclusion
— Donna D’Andrea, Partner
— Shivani Chopra, Partner