This webinar will provide a legal update on discrimination, in particular, racial discrimination, and systemic discrimination in the workplace. The focus will be on updating and clarifying these concepts, as well as their application by the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario and labour arbitrators, with a particular emphasis on Social Services workplaces. Through a discussion of legal obligations, adjudicators’ approaches and workplace best practices, Social Services employers will leave this webinar with an improved understanding of the nuanced legal concepts as well as practical tools for preventing and properly responding to racial discrimination in their workplaces.
In this Advantage CPD webinar, we will discuss racial discrimination in the Social Services workplace including:
- The different forms that racism may take in the workplace
- Appropriate responses to and investigation of complaints of racial discrimination
- Common misconceptions regarding the nature and prevalence of racism in the workplace
- Considerations for the effective implementation of anti-discrimination policies and procedures
- Adjudicators’ expectations regarding an employer’s response to systemic discrimination in the workplace
Audience and Learning Objectives
The goal of the webinar will be to assist Social Services employers to better identify and respond to instances of racial discrimination, and to address discrimination in a manner that promotes the goal of a truly inclusive workplace while mitigating legal risk.
This webinar will include an interactive Q&A feature. A panel discussion will be built into the last 15 minutes of the session to address audience questions that are submitted.
Hicks Morley will endeavour to accommodate guests with a disability in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code guidelines and other applicable legislation.