Please note that due to changes related to the COVID-19 outbreak, this webinar has been postponed until a later date, TBA.
The new personal information provisions of the Child, Youth and Family Services Act, 2017 (CYFSA) introduce a detailed access and appeal process which permits individuals to request personal information and appeal access decisions of service providers.
Geared at Privacy Coordinators in the social services sector, this Advantage CPD webinar will go beyond the general description of the access and appeal process and address a number of the common practical and legal concerns you may confront in administering access requests and appeals.
By the end of this webinar, attendees will gain a better understanding of:
- When is a record in the custody or control of a service provider
- How the IPC has approached comparable access exemptions in other privacy legislation
- How to handle vague or unclear access requests
- What the elements of a proper response letter are
- How extensive searches for responsive records need to be and how to conduct a reasonable search
- When to claim a request is frivolous or vexatious
- What to expect of on appeal of a decision to the IPC and how to prepare