It is with great pleasure that we invite you to join us for our complimentary law update – this year themed ‘Comforting Thoughts on 2011 Legal Developments’ – followed by a selection of cocktail and wine tastings and some delicious food pairings. The session promises to deliver a good, concentrated hit of current HR relevant legal information along with some intense flavour bursts. You will leave with information for your organization and something to share with friends and family over the weeks that follow.
This year’s legal content focuses on developments best grouped under the rubric "human rights and interactions". We will:
- Share heartwarming decisions from Human Rights Tribunals on the scope of the duty to accommodate, reaching the threshold of undue hardship and the duty of employees to participate and cooperate particularly in the provision of appropriate medical information
- Raise a toast to two recent Supreme Court of Canada decisions that deal with a Human Rights Tribunal’s authority to review the decisions of other statutory bodies and award costs (not!)…
- Warm you through and through with an overview of assistance being given to employers in appropriately dealing with workplace violence and harassment…
- Provide you comfort that you can still meet the January 1, 2012 AODA compliance deadline (even if you don’t know what AODA stands for at this very moment)
- Help you to choose between shades of grey when reviewing and revising your benefit plans in order to avoid age discrimination.
Our format showcases legal content from 4:00 p.m. to 4:45 p.m. Immediately following the information session there will be a spirit tasting session, hosted by Groovy Grapes, and accompanied by food pairings and this year’s "cool gadgets for bar and kitchen" discussion. We will wrap it up and send you home (or back to work) by 6:00 p.m.
We look forward to seeing you
Session on Recent Legal Developments