Employee absences due to illness carry both human and financial costs to your organization. Returning employees to work in a reasonable time and taking measures to ensure continued good health can help minimize these costs. But the monitoring and communication needed to achieve this carry legal risks that need to be understood and addressed.
This session will cover best practices, cases and legislation related to:
- Communicating with employees and their health care professionals to obtain information
- Communicating with internal stakeholders regarding employee health information, and maintaining employee health records
- Recent caselaw trends and best practices in litigating employee disability issues and LTD claims – in court, at arbitration, and before the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario
- Managing internal communications and record-keeping to ensure that appropriate levels of confidentiality are maintained
- Representing your client’s interests when dealing with vulnerable persons
- Ethical issues in communicating with represented and unrepresented employees and health care professionals