A one-day interactive training workshop on managing accommodation issues in the workplace
There’s no such thing as “textbook” accommodation. Whether your employee has a challenging physical or mental disability that impacts their ability to do the job, childcare problems that interfere with his or her performance, faith-related obligations or is in the process of transitioning, how you respond to that individual’s request – or don’t – can mean significant liability for your organization. Are you prepared?
This hands-on intensive workshop is designed to provide front-line HR Professionals with the tools they need to address and manage accommodation issues in the workplace. Following instructional components on key accommodation principles, attendees will work in small groups through a series of case scenarios focused on specific “hot button” accommodation issues relating to disability, family status, religion and gender identity and expression. These real-world scenarios are designed to highlight the challenges unique to each category, and provide attendees with an in-depth understanding of governing legal principles, best practices – and common pitfalls that can arise in the accommodation process. Attendees will also receive topic-specific toolkits and takeaway sample worksheets to develop and implement appropriate accommodation processes.
By the end of this program, attendees will be able to:
- Critically evaluate their organization’s accommodation framework based upon key legal principles;
- Understand substantive and procedural accommodation principles in the workplace;
- Formulate a proactive “best practices” approach to implementing accommodation principles;
- Effectively communicate with employees seeking accommodations;
- Identify and distinguish employee “needs” vs. “wants”;
- Respond effectively to disability accommodation requests and manage medical information throughout the accommodation process; and
- Avoid common pitfalls – and potential liability.
Please note that in order to maximize the experience of attendees, spaces in the workshop will be limited. We encourage you to register early to avoid disappointment.