Fee: $499.00 plus $64.87 (13% HST)
Total $564.87 per person
There’s no such thing as a “textbook” for accommodation. Your employee may have a challenging physical or mental disability that impacts their ability to do the job. Each scenario is unique and types of disabilities vary. Knowing how to manage the accommodation process related to an individual’s code-defined disability can be a day-to-day challenge for employers and service providers alike. How you respond to an individual’s request can mean significant liability for your organization.
In this hands-on, interactive workshop, we will review the tools needed to address and manage disability and accommodation issues in the workplace. Specifically, we will address:
- the general principles of disability management
- the concept of frustration and how to reconcile this with the duty to accommodate
- independent medical examinations—when they are appropriate and when they can be made compulsory
Following instructional components on key accommodation principles, attendees and presenters will work as a group through a real-world case scenario focused on disability accommodation requests. Attendees will receive a digital toolkit and sample worksheets to develop and implement appropriate accommodation processes in their own organizations.
Audience and Learning Objectives
This workshop is designed to provide frontline HR professionals and legal counsel with the tools they need to address and manage disability and accommodation issues in the workplace.
By the end of this program, attendees will be able to:
- critically evaluate their organization’s accommodation framework based upon key legal principles
- understand substantive and procedural accommodation principles in the workplace
- formulate a proactive “best practices” approach to implementing accommodation principles
- effectively communicate with employees seeking accommodations
- identify and distinguish employee “needs” vs. “wants”
- respond effectively to disability accommodation requests and manage medical information throughout the accommodation process
- navigate common pitfalls that can arise in the accommodation process and avoid potential liability
|Please note that in order to maximize the experience of attendees, spaces in the workshop will be limited. We encourage you to register early to avoid disappointment.
Hicks Morley will endeavour to accommodate guests with a disability in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code guidelines and other applicable legislation. If you require any accommodations for this event, please indicate the nature of the accommodation below.