Please note that registration for this event has closed.
Fee: $175.00 plus $22.75 (13% HST)
Total $197.75 per person
There’s no such thing as a “textbook” for accommodation. Your employee may have a challenging physical or mental disability that impacts their ability to do the job. Each scenario is unique and types of disabilities vary. How you respond to an individual’s request can mean significant liability for your organization.
This workshop is designed to provide frontline HR Professionals with an introduction to the principles relating to an employer or service provider’s duty to accommodate under relevant human rights legislation.
This session will review the tools you need to address and manage accommodation issues in the workplace. Following instructional components on key accommodation principles, attendees and presenters will work as a group through a real world case scenario focused on disability accommodation requests. This breakout is designed to highlight challenges frequently faced by HR Professionals and provide an in-depth understanding of governing legal principles, best practices and common pitfalls that can arise in the accommodation process.
Attendees will receive a digital toolkit and sample worksheets to develop and implement appropriate accommodation processes in your organization.
By the end of this program, attendees will be able to:
- Critically evaluate their organization’s accommodation framework based upon key legal principles
- Understand substantive and procedural accommodation principles in the workplace
- Formulate a proactive “best practices” approach to implementing accommodation principles
- Effectively communicate with employees seeking accommodations
- Identify and distinguish employee “needs” vs. “wants”
- Respond effectively to disability accommodation requests and manage medical information throughout the accommodation process
- Avoid common pitfalls and potential liability