Fee: $475.00 plus $61.75 (13% HST)
Total $536.75 per person
Lunch will be served
The division of pension benefits on marriage breakdown and the determination of entitlement to death benefits often gives rise to complex administration issues, which can be compounded by the emotions of the parties involved. This learn-by-doing workshop is designed to build and enhance the specific technical skills required by HR and pension benefits professionals in the context of a pension plan member’s marriage breakdown.
This session will focus on the rules applicable to Ontario plan members, and will briefly discuss the unique issues applicable to federally-regulated plan members.
Following instructional components, attendees will work in facilitated small groups through case scenarios designed to highlight processes and best practices to deal with issues that can arise when pension benefits are included in family assets, and when the pension plan member’s benefits are split with the former spouse. Attendees at this session will receive practical tools that will assist when administering a pension division upon marriage breakdown.
By the end of this program, attendees will understand:
- the types of pension valuations and when to provide them
- the rules applicable to division of pension benefits on a “wait and see” basis
- the rules applicable to division of pension benefits on an immediate basis
- how the treatment of defined benefit and defined contribution pension benefits may differ
- the information and direction required to effectively administer a division at source
- the pitfalls and common obstacles impacting administration and valuation of pension divisions, including
- spousal information and member privacy rights
- divisions exceeding statutory limits
- unclear separation agreements and court orders
- spousal entitlements to death benefits and survivor benefits
- best practices for responding to requests for information and the request for division
- treatment of SERPs
Please note that in order to maximize the experience of attendees, spaces in the workshop will be limited. We encourage you to register early to avoid disappointment.
If you are interested in offering this session at your place of business, please complete our client training request form.
Should you need to cancel your registration, please send an email to email@example.com