As the government starts lifting or relaxing certain orders and directives made under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, employers are turning their mind to reopening their workplaces. In order to ensure a successful return to work in a COVID-19 world, it is crucial that employers contemplate the unique labour and employment considerations that will impact returning to the workplace, including employment standards requirements, health and safety obligations, human rights issues, privacy rights, the impact on pension and benefits, and potential litigation risks.
Geared at human resources professionals and in-house counsel, this one and a half hour webinar will provide an overview of an employer’s statutory obligations, along with tips to assist you in creating a successful return to work plan.
This webinar will highlight issues that you need to consider in planning for return to work, as well as answer your frequently asked questions including:
- What safeguards do you need to put in place (e.g. use of PPE, social distancing, physical modifications)?
- Can you require the use of masks by your employees? By your customers?
- Can you use temperature screening on your employees? On your customers?
- What are your reporting obligations in the event of a positive test to your employees, your customers and the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board?
- What accommodations do you need to make for your employees?
- Are you required to allow employees to continue to work from home? In what circumstances?
- How are you protecting your data for those who work from home?
- How do you recall employees? On what basis?
- Are your plans consistent with the ESA’s hours of work, vacation and other provisions? Will some employees remain on leave or temporary layoff?
- Have you considered the impact on employee benefits and pensions, or on government wage replacement initiatives
- What policies and procedures should you be reviewing and updating?
- What are some of the litigation risks you may face either as a result of restructuring or in resuming operations?
You must be logged in to access this content. Go to the Client Access area to login.