Human Resources Legislative Update
Regulation Classifying Employers Under WSIA Amended
Date: January 30, 2017
On December 16, 2016, the Ontario government filed O. Reg. 470/16, amending O. Reg. 175/98 “General” made under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997 (Act).
Among other things, O. Reg. 470/16:
- introduces rules regarding the classification of employers who supply workers for other employers on a temporary basis for a fee
- revokes and replaces Schedule 1, Industries (both included and excluded)
- revokes and replaces Schedule 3, Occupational Diseases
- revokes and replaces the penalty provision for employers who fail to comply with section 21(1) of the Act (Notice by employer of accident) with significantly increased levy amounts (s. 15)
- provides for administrative penalties where employers contravene s. 22.1 of the Act (Prohibition, claim suppression) in amounts varying from $5,000 to $10,000 for each contravention or subsequent contravention (s. 15.1).
Sections 15 and 15.1 of O. Reg. 470/16 (Penalty Amounts) come into force on January 1, 2018.
All other provisions of O. Reg. 470/16 come into force on January 1, 2019.
For information about the new Rate Framework for Schedule 1 employers, which has a targeted implementation date of January 2019, see our FTR Now of November 22, 2016, WSIB Rate Framework Approved.